The oldest image we have

Painting done by Mr. Albert J. Fountain Sr., from memory of St. Genevieve Church in Las Cruces, NM in 1859. Fr. Manuel Chavez was installed as the first pastor of this newly formed parish.
 
 

The Second Church

St. Genevieve Church built under the leadership of Fr. Pierre Lassiagne and Mother Praxedes Carty, Sister Superio  of the Loretto Convent.  The church was built directly over and around the old church and not a service was omitted during the progress of the work.  The new church was solemnly dedicated on Oct. 15, 1887.
   
   

The Town of Las Cruces develops around St. Genevieve Church

St. Genevieve Church was the center of Las Cruces where majority of  activities took place, from religious, political, theatrical, social etc.
 
 

The high altar

Interior of St. Genevieve church circa 1930s or later. Damage can be seen on the walls. Many of the statues shown are still in use in the present day church.  The two side altars which apprear to have the niches and crocketts like the high altar, are actually painted on the wall above the altars.
   
   

The Church's towers are lowered

St. Genevieve Church as it looked in 1967 prior to its demolition. The foundation could not support the tall french towers so they were shortened.
 
 

The beautiful wrought iron gate leading to the rectory

Side view of St. Genevieve Church.  The wrought iron gate at the entrance to the rectory was designed by Fr. Pierre Lassaigne and built by Mr. Carl Clausen (whose wife Maria Anita was the sister of Albert J. Fountain) The gate has the initials "P.L."for Fr. Pierre Lassaigne.